Tuesday, March 22, 2011

March 6-10

Mar. 6
Up earlier today, well relatively, we had many places to visit prior to our 2:20pm flight and from the start we are behind.

The seat belt sign was still a glow and the plane still climbing into the pollution above Delhi when the first passengers began roaming the cabin. For the life of me I cannot understand the rush. Once we level off there will be ample time to get into bagged stowed overhead. There is a sticker on the baggage claim conveyor belt that keeps getting my hopes up for my luggage's safe arrival. Angus and Hamid's suitcases arrived promptly yet for some unknown reason mine took longer; the crowd waiting had thinned however not to a point where distress kicked in. It was silly as I could have simply taken mine on as a carry on. Nevertheless, we all arrived safely with our luggage in hand. In Varanasi we load our luggage into one of the school Van's and head towards Hamid's warehouse where my selections from places around Bhadohi and other outer lying regions are to be waiting. Even before we reach there however I know some has not arrived.

Mar.7
The joy of shopping in India. Bright and early which in Varanasi time means 45 minutes after we were suppose to arrive we leave. While shopping the staff first tries to show everything except what was previously inspected or what we ask or. Then while friendly showing one quality they try to slip in the higher quality and have it selected and after the fact. The other stalling/selling tactic is pleading with you to just show one more thing until they run out of new things or you leave. Today Angus just made them reduce the price of 4-5 of the sneaked in carpets.

Without fail whenever I turn down food that is when I get hungry; when we finished at Ideal I was offered fruit which I turned down. Too much effort and I would have preferred to eat at the next place anyways--keep moving. The day was successful and the evening included a BBQ feast with the Moghbelpour family.

Mar. 8
Yesterday may have been too productive as Angus decided to attempt to search out the elusive chain stitched pillows and nick knack shopping. I would find my mothers overpriced birthday present today. As she will probably read this prior to her birthday I will not mention what it is except to say by tradition you can only give it as a gift--it is bad luck if you buy it for yourself.

After shopping Vargha and I headed back towards the Ghat's to watch a fire ceremony. The main performance was nothing special; I was more taken by all of the spectators on land and in boats. We found a less crowded spot overlooking the ceremony to watch. We were actually going to leave early utnil a man dressed up as a Moneky God appeared with a huge mace and started walking through the crowd with a kind of swagger only a Monkey God can pull off, ocassionally posing for picture before disappearing as suddenly as he appeared.

We headed back to the rooftop cafe to say goodbye to some of the guys I had met over the course of my time here, share in double apple hookah, milkshakes and watch an impromptu Indian inspired jam session. A nice end to my time here in Varanasi. Except it was not the end, we were late for dinner and the motorcycle was acting strange which made for the another white knuckled ride with Vargha through traffic, it was up there with my first bike ride for nerves--oh Vargha had misplaced his glasses too. Oh India, how do you function.

Mar. 9
For all intents and purposes today is my last day in India at least for this year. Technically Angus and I fly out at 3am on the 10th however all of that time will be spent in the Delhi airport and on the tarmac--today is my last day. My India cell phone gets me again, if at any point in the night I groggily check the time on it without resetting the alarm it will not go off. This happened a lot--I know better, yet in that woozy land between wake and slumber errors in judgment run rampant.

Packed, ready to go and ate my last breakfast at Hamid's house, Vargha started a fast today between sunlight hours and just hoovered around us while we ate. I made an appearance at the morning assembly however it was brief as soon after prayer and the national anthem I was told we were leaving. Into one of the school buses packed full of the three of ours luggage we headed onto the roads and Hamid's warehouse to tidy up a few loose ends. Hamid would once again be making the trek back to Delhi with us to do a final inspection of the selected rugs prior to their packing and being sent to Bombay/Mumbai. At the moment we are sitting in the airport and Hamid nearly left his laptop with security save a caring employee and a thought I had earlier.
Angus and his business class just loaded. The waiting area is eerily empty--too many people boarded when they called the elderly and young. Goodbye India, when I awake in Germany the world will make sense again.
Before that can happen the country manages to throw another curve ball. The waiting room empty--the jet walk/sky walk--whatever you call the thing is jammed. I have found my long lost travel companions. Their attempt to beat a system by rushing has managed to slow everyone down.
It is far earlier now then it once was, 9:30am in India which puts me on a plane for 6 1/2 hours at this point. I am awake now only because someone turned on the cabin lights. My back aches, my chair did not recline well and pillow was of little help. In an hour and half the plane will begin its' final decent and in 2 hours I will be in Frankfurt at a little after 7am local time with 8 hours to kill. Angus had a cold last time I saw him and I cannot imagine the plane journey would have made him feel better--that said he is above in the plush 1st class and I way back in 45k.
My companions besides me are from California with a 12 1/2 hour flight ahead of them from Frankfurt and a surprisingly well behaved daughter switching between their laps. It must be trying to travel with small children. If I have kids I guess they will just miss out on flying until they are older. Someone needs to invent the transporter although I would have my reservations about being dematerialized.
I never met anyone in Delhi last night. I had dinner with members of Kashmir Arts, Angus and Hamid again. This time at Q'BA Bar(pronounced Cuba), good meal and awkward conversations.

Mar. 10

The sun is about to rise in spite of our best efforts to flee from it. A look outside and I know it is cold; I do not know where I am at the moment however it is snow covered. Red sky in morning, sailors take warning. Take warning.
We are now beginning our final decent into Ottawa. Nearly 24 hours ago I boarded a plane in Delhi 3am March 10th, now it is 5pm at 24 hours have passed. How silly is math? I am a little worried I will not make it home early enough to watch the Volleyball game and that my roommate Sean will have forgotten to leave my keys with security thus locking me out of my home. My hair is quite oily right now too. I guess given I have been traveling since the evening of 8th eastern time that is to be expected.
Odd way to end...

Just flew over Hull/Gatineau.

No comments:

Post a Comment