Monday, February 28, 2011

Varanasi--Feb.26

Up surprisingly early today which is good, my time here is coming to an end and it would be a shame to waste it sleeping. In the morning the kids had a musical assembly which I was invited to participate in. I still cannot quite understand the excitement the children have for school on Saturday; to each their own I guess. It was fun to join in Guitar class and play along with them offering tips and showing the class how to play a few songs. Their teacher had only been teaching them gospel songs so I tried to stay in that spirit with "In the sun" and "Save tonight". I think more then anything they enjoyed my struggles to keep a tune.
I had breakfast with Hamid, Vargha and two other men who are both from the Baha'i institute so religion was the main topic of breakfast. I always enjoy the topic however it seems to upset many people again for reasons I cannot understand although I suspect reason actually has very little to do with it. Hamid had told me the day before that we would be going back to Bhadohi today, what he failed to mention was when. Having learned that if he does not see me then he will get lost in office work I settled in the living room with a book and waited.
Every time he passed assuring me that soon we will go. The forth time he claims to be ready so the lunches are packed, his computer bag as well and both brought down to the car, I follow them down and wait knowing that I still have 20+ minutes before he will be down. I end up chatting in the sun with a cute teacher/university student who is on her spare period.
The spiced milk tea is strange in many ways: the spices are always different it seems and soon after pouring your glass a thin skin develops that never quite goes away managing to stick to the glass at the end. Good taste just odd and it takes some getting use to.
I tried to get onto the roof of Hamid's warehouse today and was confronted by the largest beehive that I have ever seen in person. I would wager it is four feet deep and about a three foot diamond in the rest of directions. I do not like bees although I am rarely one to avoid doing something because of their presence--this however was one of those times. There were also numerous smaller hives spotting the four staircases I would have to climb to reach the larger one and that was too much of a task just to take in the sight from his roof, plus I would have to return by descending that same staircase.
Just one supplier today who, as is becoming common place, misrepresented what they had in an effort to waste everyones time. It is like they except to be able to convince me when i give them specific requirements that I in fact do not know what I want and should buy something completely different. There was no wine and board games this night instead the evening was filled with a meeting for the Baha'i instructors which occupied everyone for the majority of the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment