Monday, February 28, 2011

Varanasi--Feb.27

Any plans to see carpets today went out the window when my phone rang; it was Hamid trying to figure out where I was. Nobody actually looks for you in this house, if you are not in their direct walking route then you get a phone call. Only if they are truly looking for you mind you; if whatever they want to tell you can wait then it will. I am invited to breakfast with the Baha'i instructors again and upon my arrival learn today I am to visit an orphanage with the group of Baha'i members including a youth group. It all kind of reminds me of a youth group Seb convinced me to go to in high school although these kids were doing a lot more then we did. There are 17 kids at the orphanage, 8 of which live there and the others just come during the day for a kind of daycare their parents would otherwise be unable to put them in. I mainly spent the afternoon playing games and singing songs with the kids while the grown up discussed what was happening there, what could be improved and what they could do to help.
In the evening Vargha and I zipped around town on a motorcycle visiting people and participating in a Baha'i devotion group. It is basically a prayer circle where each person said their daily prayer aloud with the occasional song. I basically sat quietly head lowered listening to the whole thing. At the devotion group I recieved the third food I ate that night that I regret eating, the previous two places I had also been given something to eat and I am not entirely sure which or what combination of the three did me in however later that night I would come to regret all of their generosity. I would have said no however when Vargha attempted to lave without eating they yelled at him--I did not want to get yelled at. We then met up with Shruit and another of Vargha's friends for board games at Farsal's cafe once again overlooking the Ganges. Nice end to the evening, although my night of Delhi belly was just beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment